Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A Ride Home

It has been quite some time since I last wrote an article. Today, I find myself on the train on route to home from work. Work has been going very well, as I enjoy applying what I have learned that last couple of years. That said, there are definitely some things that I really miss about being home.

It is hard to believe how much Parker has grown and developed over the past couple of months. During the week I don't normally get home before 7pm, and as a result my time with my son is extremely limited. There are days when Parker is in bed by the time I get home, yesterday being one of those days. I could probably count the number of hours I spend with my son from Monday through Friday on one hand. I know this is probably very normal for most fathers; however, it is all very new to me and Parker.

This morning on the train, I called homed while waiting at Union station. The train was not very busy so I asked to speak with Parker since I knew he was fascinated with the phone. Although he normally just places the phone to his ear and listens attentively without responding, today we had a conversation. Every time I would ask him a question he would respond by rambling about something. Of course, I had no idea what he was saying but it was obvious to me that we were having our first conversation on the phone.

I also know it has been very difficult for my wife since I have returned to work. With it being extremely difficult to leave the house with Parker without someone else to help ensure he has not touched something that could get him sick she does find herself bound to the house for most of her days. We have been lucky, as her parents will usually give her a break for one to two hours to get some things done during the day.

Then there are the hospital days. There have been three occasions since I began working again in which I have not gone with my wife and Parker to the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. Parker's Gaga has been kind enough to take my place but I would much rather it be me with my wife and son during these difficult days. Thank-you Gaga for taking such good care our family!

The train. I figured the ride to work on the train each day would not pose much of a problem. But, as the man across from me coughs uncontrollably he reminds me that with each ride to and from work I place my son at risk my potentially becoming covered in germs. It has only been a month and a half but I have already been sick once. There is only so much hand washing can do. With that I have been contemplating driving to work each day. It would guarantee me a seat and ensure I do not get any unwanted germ-filled droplets projected toward me from the person a couple seats over who does not know that you don't get an award for having the loudest sneeze.

I should be arriving to my station shortly. Today is one of those special days where I will get to see my son for more than an hour when I return home. For that reason, I better sign off and make my way to the door so I can be one of the first off the train. The last thing I want is to be stuck on a crowd as the mob tries to make its way down the escalator.

1 comment:

Auntie Natalie said...

Hello Parker Pants,

I am sure that you gave your Daddy a great big welcome home! Hope your ride in today went well Kevin.

Did you know Parker Pants that it is only 2 more days until March Break? It wasn't too many March break's ago that your Mommy and Daddy got married! What fun we all had. One year we will all go back to Mexico again to make even more wonderful memories!

Hope you and your Mommy are having a FABULOUS day!

Auntie Natalie xoxoxox