Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Fun Day

I always feel bad when I login to statcounter and see that a few hundred people have already come to the site for the day and I have yet to write an article. For that reason I shall push aside my book and write today's article.

My sister is being induced today. I remember the day when my wife went into the hospital to have our baby. The day before I had her working her tail off. We cleaned the basement of our still very new home so that there was not a piece of dust to be found. She was in charge of all the vacuuming. I also made sure to have her walk up and down the stairs repeatedly in hopes that I might trigger something. Well, sure enough the next day she awoke and felt as if something was a little bit different. I apologise for the squirmish but it seemed to me that her water had broken. It was not dramatic, but I knew exactly what it was. When she wanted to go back to bed, I persuaded her to grab her bag, get in the car and take a trip to the labour and delivery at Centennary.

She was a little bit embarassed when she told the nurse she thought her water may have broken. The nurse was a little annoyed and probably thought this was just another couple coming in prematurely. Well, after doing the cough test it was apparent that she was not to be going anywhere and that she would be having our little boy that day.

Of course, we called our family and had them come to the hospital to keep us company while we waited for my wife to finish dialating. My wife walked up and down the hallway outside of her room towing her IV pole along side. Every once in a while she would stop, lean against the wall and made a very seriously funny but agonising face. We knew then that it was time to start the stop watch to see how long the contraction had lasted and how far apart it had been since the last one had occured. Once the pain subsided she would stand up straight and continue to walk down the hall as if nothing had happened. What did I do? I tried my best not to crack jokes during a contraction. Apparently, laughing during a contraction is not a good thing.

What was nice about it was that our families were all there. Both sets of grandparents as well as my sister. As the day progressed, and my wife lay in bed we all sat around talking. When my wife finally went into active labour her mother and I joined her in the delivery room to witness my son being born. The delivery took no more than 45 minutes and although there was a little discomfort for my wife she did say that the pain was nothing that she had been told it would be. As a matter of fact, she was still laughing at my jokes between pushes!

ONce Parker was born, they swooped him away to be cleaned and weighed and then brought him back to me so that I may hold him in my arms. I was absolutely overwhelmed with joy by the birth of our new son Parker. It was not long before we were able to bring our little man out so that everyone who had sat around with us all day could finally see why they were there.

Every time we hear of someone who is about to have a child my wife and I always look at each other. She never fails to say to me, "Remember how much fun it was the day Parker was born?" So with that, when I spoke with my sister last night on the phone, I made sure to tell her to have fun tomorrow. I am not sure if she understood what I meant by that, but at the very least I will make sure to visit her today in the hospital while she awaits the birth of her new son and every once in a while I will ask her if she is having fun.

1 comment:

Stacy and Brad said...

Hiya Parker!!! Love your daddy's story today!
Hope you are having a great week!!!
Keep smilin'
HUGS,
Stacy and Brad xoxox