Monday, September 04, 2006

I Promised...

It is Monday and I did say yesterday that I would make sure not to skip today's message so I am sitting myself down at the computer and writing my article for today.

My wife is upstairs as I write feeding Parker his last bottle for the day as she tries to put him down to sleep. Parker, my wife and her parents and I went for dinner at Parker's Uncle Michael and Auntie Kate's home this evening. We do not normally take him out anywhere except the hospital but we thought it was a normal thing to do and we felt relatively safe about it since there are not normally any children there with a plethora of germs. That, and the fact that his numbers are up a bit we felt comfortable making the trip with Parker. We brought his playpen so that he had somewhere to play while we got to spend time with our family.

I have recently learned that Parker is able to feed himself. Well, not his solid food but he does hold his bottle with two hands and without any help from someone over 27 inches he can drink the entire bottle. I say that I recently learned this because I saw him doing it with my wife early this afternoon. It was definately a nice thing to see.

Tomorrow would normally be the start of the school year and my wife and I would normally be teaching, but with us not being able to bring any germs into our home we are unable to do so. For that reason, we both have taken a leave of absence until Parker's treatment is completed and he has a relatively normal immune system. We are very appreciative of all the people who have donated so that we may make sure that Parker remains infection free. Unfortunately, controlling the environment in which he lives is the only way in doing so.

No comments: