Thursday, September 07, 2006

Welcome Back!

I have titled this article "Welcome Back" because I have noticed that since school has begun our number of visitors have increased. Not to say that the number of people populating this site were low during the summer but it is nice to get 500 hits a day again. So I would like to take this opportunity to say thank- you to everyone for taking the time out of your very busy schedule to visit our site and see how my little boy is doing.

I know there are probably many of you who would like to write comments on Parker's web site but are unable to. Currently, I have this feature open to family and friends whom which I invited to join the site as members back when Parker was first admitted to the isolation unit at Sick Kid's in Toronto. I would like to open this feature up eventually. Right now, I would like to let family and friends know that if they are interested in becoming members please let someone in my family know via email so they may pass the information on to me. If you currently have my email and would like to become a member, please let me know.

Parker has definitely been a very happy little boy as of late. My wife has started to use the Baby Bjorn more often to walk Parker around the house or to even get the mail at the end of the street. She decided to take the little guy for a walk yesterday using this contraption instead of his stroller thinking he would enjoy it more. Parker definitely enjoys the Baby Bjorn, but my wife found carrying my 20 pound plus baby on her stomach quite a chore. She hadn't made it around the block before she decided she had to come home. I saw her a couple houses down the street, struggling to make it to our door as Parker bounced with each step smiling to the world!

I must say that Parker did very well this week as he accepted his Septra in record time. Parker receives an antibiotic that is used for precautionary reasons called Septra. It combats a severe form of pneumonia called PCP Pneumonia. Parker receives 3.8 mL of Septra on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning. I usually sit him on my lap as we watch an episode of The Backyardigans. It is usually the same episode every time, "Racing Day" as it distracts him as I try and give him his medication. It Parker is aware that the Septra is on its way to his mouth he shuts hit lips and turns his head very promptly. I find myself hiding the syringe behind my leg as I try and find the best opportunity to bring the syringe to the corner of his mouth. One quick squeeze and I am able to place anywhere from half to a full millilitre of Septra into him. Parker hates the taste and the trick is to keep him from gagging on his medication. Today, I was able to get Parker to accept the Septra in three quick squirts. Something I have not been able to do until today.

There are several fundraising events in the upcoming month. The first will be happening this Sunday and being put on by "Yummy Pleasures" in Bowmanville. It is entitled "Art with Chocolate" and runs from 11am to 3pm at Yummy Pleasures. I will be posting information about this fundraiser as well as some other upcoming events in tomorrow's post. So, please check back tomorrow to hear about them.

1 comment:

Stacy and Brad said...

HIYA PARKER!!! Little man...sounds like you are keeping your mommy and daddy ON THEIR TOES!!!! hehehe Good for you :)

I hope you guys have a wonderful weekend coming up!!!

Hugs and smiles

~stacy and brad xoxox