Friday, December 29, 2006

Christmas is Over

A couple of days ago my wife decided that Christmas was finally over and that it was time to take the decorations down. It was funny because when my wife has it in her head to do something there is no stopping her. So, as fast as the decorations went up, they came down. I even have the scratches on my arms to prove it. Eighteen hundred lights coming off the main floor Christmas tree was the cause of eighteen hundred epithelial cells coming off of my arm. Regardless, we had a wonderful Christmas and the time is now to prepare to go to Italy. We should have a couple of events before that, one being Parker's birthday and the second the birth of his new cousin. Cool Auntie Kate is due in January and we along with Parker are looking forward to seeing him.

Just prior to writing this message I noticed that we were up to 99,877 hits on this site, excluding ones by us and Nana and Granddad. So we are expecting to hit the magic 100,000 sometime later tonight or early tomorrow morning. I wish I had someway of keeping track of who goes with what hit but with my current tracking method, I do not. I think I will add the feature when I rewrite the site. I do have to say it is quite exciting that we have had so many people come to the site to learn about Parker and Severe Combined Immunodeficiency.

Parker had his trip to Sick Kid's today to get his ADAGEN injection. He weighed in at 11.625 kg (25 lbs, 9.2 oz) keeping him at the 90th percentile. We were not expecting to see one of the immunologists today but we did. The primary concern of ours was the discoloration of Parker top teeth. We do our best to brush them at least once a day but it has not helped. Parker does not get an iron supplement which can cause darkening of his teeth and Septra is apparently not one of the medication that causes it either. As a result, Parker will be visiting the dentist at Sick Kid's on Tuesday. I am not too thrilled that it has come to this, but I am glad that they will get looked at. We were told by the doctor today that when a child has bad decay and has to undergo chemotherapy (as Parker will have to) they usually pull those teeth. This is definitely something that we don't want. It will be up to Dr. Aiuti what he wants done so let's just hope that the dentist visit comes and goes with some good news.

Parker got a nice visit from his Nonna and Nonno today. Mommy and daddy went out for a few hours and we booked my parents for the afternoon. I know that Parker had a great time and I am very glad that he got to spend some quality play time with them.

Parker has started choosing a couple of his Christmas toys to be his favourites. He really likes his Grand Piano by Fisher Price. He loves hitting the keys while he stands in front of it. It truly is a great toy and I would suggest that if you are looking for something that will really stimulate your one year old that you should check it out. Parker is also enjoying his farm and truck that he can ride on himself. Parker has started to be able to drive himself around the main floor using his feet to push himself around with. He has even figured out how to drive over to the stairs, get off of his truck and then start climbing the stairs. I was pretty impressed to see that this morning. He is still not very fast on his car but give it a couple of days and he will eventually begin driving faster than a tortoise.

Check back in tomorrow when I will definitely have more pictures of Parker to share with everyone.

3 comments:

Nonno and Nonna said...

Hey Parker,

Thank you for the nice visit yesterday, it was fun for Nonno & Nonna. We got to play with all your new toys and take you for a ride on your Winnie.
It's also good for your Daddy and Mommy to get out together.

Stay Strong Big Guy.

Love you tons

Nonno & Nonna

Franni said...

Hi Parker!
I bet you are saying what Patrick said today... Christmas is not over, there is snow on the ground! We already took our decorations down too and that is what Patrick had to say abou that!
Sounds like you are a busy little guy with your ride on toy!!
We heard that your Nonno and Nonna tuckered you right out and you had one of your best sleeps ever! I bet you had a lot of fun! I know they did.
Have a good sleep and good luck at the dentist!!!
Love
Auntie Franni

funnyface said...

Parker,

I am sooo glad you had a nice time with your Nonna and Nonno.

I know what your mom means...I got up this morning and did the same thing (except frosty the snowman has stayed as Elizabeth wants him to stay out).

Hope you have a great new years and Craig and I are really looking forward to seeing you next Saturday!

Love you tons!

Laura, Craig and Elizabeth