Tuesday, December 19, 2006

IVIG Done - IgG Topped Up!

So, I know that many of you have been sitting at home at your computers just pressing F5 on you keyboard as you anxiously await to find out how Parker's IV went today. It could not have gone any better.

We got to the Medical Short Stay Unit at Sick Kids just after nine in the morning and we headed to our room as we waited for our nurse. She was very nice, which definitely made it easier for us. She began by taking his weight and height as well as some vitals. Parker weighed in at 11.560 kg (25 lbs 6.9 oz) placing him in the 90th percentile and his height was measured to be 75.5 cm. The weight was not so surprising as that pretty much goes with what we are used to but we do not normally have Parker's height measured. That said, I did mention at the table during dinner last night that I thought Parker had grown in length quite a bit as it was easily noticeable as he was in his Exersaucer and his knees were bent. With this length measurement Parker is currently at the 60th percentile for his height. I have updated his measurements on the right side bar and have decided to add his percentiles in brackets.

I know that everyone is much more interested in how well Parker's veins were for the IV and I must say they completely co-operated. Parker and I went into the IV room where they insert IVs on more difficult patients with our nurse in addition to one other nurse. They checked both of his hands to see if there was a vein worth trying and voila they found one. As always, I held Parker down so that he did not compromise the attempt to insert the IV into his vein. Yes, Parker cried but the vein worked and in a single poke they were able to take the necessary blood and saline block the IV. It did not take eight pokes over four different limbs and his head, just a single poke in the back of his hand.

As soon as we were done securing the IV to his wrist I scooped up my little boy and we danced around the room. As quick as you could say booboo Parker stopped crying. Parker and daddy, with the IV pole walked back to our room where mommy was waiting with Grand-dad and Nanna. Although he had not cried in a good minute when he saw his mommy my tough little boy cries for her. Can you blame him?

The hard part was done but we were still not clear of the many occlusions that we are used to. Each occlusion results in the IgG not being able to enter his vein without resistance. If the pressure is to great and his blood pushes back against the fluid coming in it may cause an occlusion. Believe it or not we encountered only one and it was a result of Parker biting on the IV in his hand. Once he stopped the little blue box on the IV pole stopped beeping and all was quiet again.

We received a visit half way through from Parker's favourite nurse, Brenda. She came by to give him his ADAGEN injection and tell him how cute he is. We also got to ask her a few questions as she is accustomed to getting from us. The main question today was in regards to some darkening on one of his teeth on the top. I was concerned that it baby be decay and although she could tell us that it was, she did say that SCIDs do generally have more cavities than the average person. She recommended regular brushing of his teeth. I do brush Parker's teeth and I plan on increasing the number of times each day to at least two.

Parker wants to thank his Nanna and Grand-dad for keeping his mommy and daddy company while at the hospital today.

4 comments:

Nonno and Nonna said...

Way to go Parker,

I knew you could do it. I am so glad that they didn't have to keep poking you.

Stay strong Big Guy!

Love you tons

Nonna & Nonno

Auntie Christini said...

Dear Parky,
You are a very BRAVE little boy. We are so impressed of how you handle every obstacle. The IV didn't sound like fun at all and there you are taking it like an adult! I know big people who have trouble with needles...but not you!
We are happy you are growing so fast and looking so good!
We miss you and look forward in seeing your during the holidays.
Love you heaps and heaps,
Auntie Christini and Uncle Mikey

Stacy and Brad said...

Hi PArker!!!
I signd into your site AS SOON AS I CAME TO WORK THIS MORNING!!! I am soo sooo sooo HAPPY that things went so well with the IV!!!
YOU ARE SUCH A TROOPER!!!
I hope you have a wonderful day today...Santa comes in just a few more sleeps...yay!!!
HUGS,
Stacy
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Franni said...

Parker,

Boy, even when you are in the least desirable place, you look adorable! I can't believe what you go through, but you are such a tough little guy.
It was so nice seeing you through the car window the other evening! I am sorry I tapped the window and woke you up, that was not my intention. But I rather did enjoy seeing your very very cute blue eyes looking up at me.
Your big cousin Patrick always talks about you! He can't wait to share his most precious belongings with you, at least he says. So, we are waiting for you and look forward to that day all the time.
Hang in there. Not long to go.

Love,
Auntie Franni, Uncle Petee, Patrick, Jonathan and William.