Wednesday, August 02, 2006

IgG Low!

Yes, it is true. What we were hoping was not going to have to happen has become a reality. Parker's blood work came back yesterday and it revealed that his immunoglobulin gamma is low and needs to be replenished. We were hoping for at least 2.2 since that is what he had the week before, but when we got the result of 1.9 we knew he was destined for another IV. We informed the hospital that we would be very accommodating with the date and time as long as we could get the neonatal team to do his IV. Recall that a couple of weeks ago they tried to do his IgG transfusion but were unable to after the nurses were unable to find a vein that would cooperate. Let's hope that all goes much more smoothly.

I forgot to mention that Parker went for his passport photo on Monday. We called Sam's Club before they opened and explained the situation to them and they were very accommodating. We were the only ones in the photo area so we did not have to worry about any germs infecting our son. I am not sure how many of you have tried to take a passport photo of a six month old but having him sit on a stool and not move or laugh and smile is a very difficult task. I must say that I am very lucky that I chose to focus my recent exercises with Parker on sitting. He was quite good at not moving. I did hold him with one hand as a precaution as the last thing I needed was for him to squirm off the stool and fall on to the floor. That said, I did have to make sure that my hand and arm were not in the passport picture.

Speaking of sitting, I did mention a little while a go that I had planned on getting Parker to sit without support in less than two weeks. Parker is just about there. Well, I guess he is there. He has no problem sitting without support for about a minute, but I still find myself behind him waiting to catch him as he falls backwards or forwards. Give the little guy a couple of more days and I will not have to do that.

In addition to teaching him how to sit, I have decided to go full force in teaching my son how to say "Dada". I must say "Dada" a hundred times everyday. I have heard from so many mothers who spend all day with their babies that their first words are always "dada". I am pretty sure that the little monkey will be saying "mama" for his first words. "Mama, tell dada to stop working me so hard!" It's like I tell him all the time, "A little hard work never hurt anyone".

Parker had gone the last couple of nights without needing a feed to get through the night, but last night my wife caved to his crying and got him a bottle at 1:30 am. I know it is hard for her to listen to him cry at night but it is something that has to be done. He has to be trained to go through the night with food just like he learned to hold his head up.

We have started mixing Parker's cereal with apple sauce. Actually, Nanna did. We did decide to follow suit, and as we speak Parker's mom is feeding him mixed cereal and apple sauce and he loves it!

No comments: