Saturday, August 26, 2006

Two Trips to the Hospital in One Day

On Friday we got a little more hospital than we had hoped for. Parker had has regular trip in the morning to get his ADAGEN injection. We hoped to also get his T and B cell marker test results but they will not be ready until Tuesday. In addition, we spent three hours at Rouge Valley Health Centre in Ajax, not for Parker, but for his daddy.

I thought it would be a good idea to make a nice Italian dish for dinner as I have been working on my Italian as of late. I figured linguine ai frutti di mari would hit the spot. But as I cut tomatoes with a chef's knife instead of a seraded one and I watched an interesting episode of Oprah, I cut a little more than a tomato. Silly daddy, cut the tip of his left baby finger off. Yes, off. It was not a lot, but enough that I had to go to the hospital to get a pressure bandage put on it.

Poor little monkey had just gotten in the tub, when mommy heard daddy say, I have to go to the hospital. The poor little guy was so upset that he had to come out of the water so quickly. He was enjoying his time with his new rubber ducky. Splashing and kicking in the water are two of his most favourite things.

Enough about me. You can really see Parker's tooth coming in now. He has been very good about it not crying very much about it at all. Parker has been his regular little cheery self always wanting to play, talk and laugh.

Parker has always gotten a lot of stimulation. Even at Sick Kid's his mother or I were always doing something with him. I started doing 'tummy time' with him at six weeks of age, as I tried to get him to lift his head while he was on oxygen and strapped to an IV. Now, at home there is always someone playing with him, and if not he is playing contently by himself in his Exersaucer or on his floor in his room. I know that it has definitely caused him to be very strong as well as do very well developmentally, but my wife has been wondering if all the attention will have any negative side effects. Anyone who knows my wife will attest that she does worry about quite a bit. That said, it was her worrying that got Parker diagnosed so early. If it were not for her and was left up to me seven months ago, who knows what situation we would have been in now. So I am very happy that she is this way. How do I feel about Parker's attention? It is my opinion that all the attention that Parker has gotten has only done good and that there is definitely nothing to worry about. We may give him a lot of attention and stimulation, but we also make sure that he knows we are the boss. Parker does not do only what he wants to do, but what mommy and daddy think is best whether he likes it or not. When that is all over, Parker does get smothered with love to know what a good boy he was.

For those of you who are interested in how much Parker currently weighs, he is five grams short of nine kilograms. In pounds and ounces, 19 lbs, 12.6 ounces. What a big boy.

No comments: